When it comes to paying property tax, one thing which always comes to the mind of taxpayers is long waiting queues and a time taking cumbersome process. But with the advent of digital technologies and Government focusing more on this system, paying a property tax online can save you from the trouble of going through unending queues with just a click of a button.
So scroll down below to know the procedure to pay property tax online:
Important points to know about property tax
- A Property tax is an annual amount paid by a residential or commercial property owner to the local government or the municipal corporation of his area.
- Paying property tax is an important duty of an owner. So, never forget or you have to pay penalty with interest. However, interest on late payment ranges from 5-20 percent, depending on the city.
- Before paying the tax online, calculate the amount through various agencies which make it easier to get the right tax amount.
- The software automatically calculates property tax on the basis of inputs on the details of the property which include built-up area, type of building? Category of use? Floor factor etc.
- Since the tax is computed electronically on the basis of the information you provide, wrong information can result in fines or imprisonment or both.
- You can also check the rebates and amount dues online.
Rebate and Exemptions
- To encourage online payments, a rebate of 2-15 percent is offered
- Senior citizens and women owners get an additional concession
- Apart from this, there are certain properties which are also exempted from property tax for example whether the land is for public use, for cremation or charity purposes, a corporation building or agricultural land. However, these exemptions vary from states and zones.
Procedure to pay tax online
- First, go to the online link of the municipal corporation of the particular state. Then click on the appropriate link where your property is located.
- Here, under “Property Tax”, you can click on the link “Online Filing of Property Tax”. This link guides taxpayers to the concerned state or zone property tax page.
- Always read the Terms and Conditions mentioned as it will help you in understanding the filling information more clear.
- After that start filling the information regarding your property for example Property ID, other property details, and the payment arrears. Once the submission is complete, click on the “submit” button.
- Keep in mind to select assessment year and other rebates and exemptions you may be entitled to.
- Finally choose the mode of payment: credit/debit card or online banking and Print receipt
- Keep in mind to save challan generated after payment for future transactions.
So now you don’t have to give a second thought to pay property tax by making hard efforts, your online key is here.