Illegal Properties
Img : hindustantimes

Good news for homeowners who have illegal properties/constructions in the civic body area, the Municipal Corporation of Gurugram has come with a new policy wherein they are giving a chance to regularize all the buildings which are violating building norms or are used for commercial purposes without prior approval of the civic authorities.

The MCG has notified this policy a week ago, aiming to enforce strict rules and ensuring proper development in all the areas falling under Gurugram civic body and other urban parts of Haryana. Civic officials have said that this time they are trying to not to adopt strict measures, like mass demolition as such situation often cause distress among the general public.

A senior MCG official said, “The idea is to give people a chance to regularize their unauthorized constructions and allow conversion of properties from residential to commercial without actually encouraging such activities in future. This is why regularisations will be done only on a one-to-one basis, and there will not be any blanket approval for all.”

He further said that this policy will be applicable only on those properties which are falling in municipal areas. Giving more information about the new policy initiative, another civic official said that the entire policy had been divided into two parts — the first one is related to unauthorized constructions and the second section dealing with illegal conversions of properties.

As per the policy statement, if a property falls under unauthorized construction then the owner has to submit a scrutiny of Rs 10/sq meters and development charges, along with labour cess and other documents in order to get it authorized. Once this process is completed, MCG officials will inspect the site and further issue an occupation certificate.

The same process will also be applied on regularisation of illegally converted properties. The only difference is that here a property owner has to pay conversion charges, instead of development charges, and compounding fee for illegal occupation of the building. An owner has to pay some more commercial conversions but it totally depends on the property type.